From $80 per person
This course has been designed for individuals who are required to provide first aid to a person experiencing asthma and/or anaphylaxis until the arrival of medical assistance. This means being able to identify the triggers, signs and symptoms and follow the standard first aid procedures to administer medication according to condition.
Satisfactorily completing all requirement of this course provides the student with the ability to develop risk management and risk minimisation strategies for individuals diagnosed at risk of asthma and/or anaphylaxis in the workplace. This includes the development and implementation of pre-emergency risk assessment/management and the development and implementation of individual management plans.
This course provides nationally recognised training for workers, or nominated workplace first aiders, from any industry sector and addresses the provision of care to adults and/or children in the workplace who are diagnosed as being at risk or displaying signs/symptoms.
** There are specific industries that require additional training such as childcare workers, school teachers and other related industries.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
It is recommended that students will be best equipped to successfully undertake the training if they have language, literacy and oral communication skills that align to Level 3 of the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF).
In addition, it is recommended that entrants have current competency in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Participants must have the physical fitness to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstration such as positioning a casualty ready to administer an autoinjector and administering the autoinjector and for administering asthma medication.
Online study option: Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online studies and practical assessment.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
- Administer asthma medication (with spacer) using a personal asthma action plan
- Administer asthma medication without a spacer
- Administer the adrenaline autoinjector for anaphylaxis
- First aid for allergic reaction and anaphylaxis
Documentation - The student must complete the following to the appropriate standard:
- First aid/Incident report form
- Complete a risk assessment for asthma and anaphylaxis and an individual management plan for a child with asthma and anaphylaxis based on a case study and information provided
- Individual asthma and anaphylaxis management plan for a child, which includes a communication plan to raise awareness of the child’s allergies, triggers and their management plan
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of short-answer and multiple-choice questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.